|Today is||Last update 9-09-2013|
Newland Furnace, built in 1747, was one of eight charcoal fired and water powered iron furnaces in the area.
Newland produced charcoal iron throughout its operational life, finally closing in 1891, almost a century after the rest of the country had converted to coke fired furnaces.
A team of dedicated volunteers has maintained a programme of consolidation and repair since 1989, leading to the formation of Newland Furnace Trust in 1998.
The Trust buildings comprise the furnace hearth and flue and the attached blowing chamber, where large bellows driven by a 29ft water wheel were situated, with the charging house above it.
During 2005, further restoration work was done by professional contractors, with funding from English Heritage, Cumbria County Council, South Lakeland District Council, The Manifold Trust, Cumbria Amenity Trust and a number of local individuals and organisations.
The Newland Furnace Trust is a registered charity, no. 1072875.
For details of membership, site visits or any further information, contact:
4 Sea View,
Telephone 01229 587153
Click here To return to the Industrial Archaeological Committee Page